La Chaux-de-Fonds city is situated in the Jura Mountains of Neuchâtel province in Switzerland at an elevation of about 1000m and 2/3km away from the French border which is the 3rd largest city of the country after Geneva and Lausanne. This is the most important city, well-known for its watch industries and so it is called the Watch Valley. It is also a famous centre of Art nouveau in Switzerland. In 2009, La Chaux-de-Fonds is awarded UNESCO world heritage rank together with Le Locle (another city of the county) for their outstanding global value. Already Karl Marx explained the La Chaux-de-Fonds as a “huge factory-town” in Das Kapital, where he assessed the separation of labor in the watch valley of the Jura.
The area was first populated approximately 10,000 years ago when a cranium and other sketches have been established in caverns nearby. The first cathedral was constructed in 1528 and René de Challant, the Valanginian Lord predetermined the borders of the township in 1550. The cathedral and township provided a political formation and a small society of Valanginian people, free farmers and peasants grew up roughly the cathedral. Pierre Jacquet-Droz and his ancestors was one of the most prominent watchmakers of that period and He is the best known for his automaton. La Chaux-de-Fonds is an area of about 57 sqkm used for agricultural purposes, forestation and buildings/roads including the area of rivers/lakes which is an fruitless land. It is a home of 23 Swiss heritage sites of national importance with the UNESCO world heritage site of La Chaux-de-Fonds/Le Locle. About 20% of the workers of La Chaux-de-Fonds come away from Switzerland including a few locals commute out of Switzerland for work. Here you can also enjoy the Neo-Gothic church of Roman Catholic, Swiss Reformed Church, an Orthodox church, the Christian Catholic Church, and another Christian church.